Friday 6 January 2017

My Top 10 You Tube Channels For Sewing Beginners

You may have picked up from previous posts, just how much social media in general and You Tube in particular,  has aided my progress; so I think it only right that I dedicate this post to those who have assisted me.

This is my list, however  if you have your own, do share and comment below!

1). Professor Pincushion Remember that school teacher who always had patience and took the time to explain things in great detail, or that relative, who just by their presence, made you feel everything would be OK? Alright maybe I''m laying it on a bit thick, but Professor Pincushion, in my opinion deserves the top spot as they have some of the most polite, calm, professional and patient presenters I am yet to find. No rushing ahead at 4x camera speed here; most tutorials are carefully planned and a great example can be seen HERE where they take you through the basics of  inserting an elastic waistband.


2) MeeshaTV This channel inclusion is tinged with sadness. I came across this lovely, enthusiastic young woman who seemed to have no fear in using her scissors in a freestyle way to create amazing designs. I love the way she abandons traditions and finds interesting ways to save time (one of my goals) whilst working without patterns. The sadness came after I realised that she had met an untimely death so my inclusion of  her channel is also a tribute as she continues to inspire and educate in spite of this. See this video HERE where she creates a dress using her inimitable style. 

3) The Little Tailoress This woman is a bundle of creativity and has a great style to boot. Her tutorial on creating bias binding was all I needed to get going and I have found her portfolio, featured on her blog , really inspirational.


4) Sew In Love Having watched her reversible shift dress tutorial I was so much more confident about the science behind sewing (or rather the mathematical principles) and her style and delivery are very clear and straight forward as depicted HERE.


5) Pinkchocolatebreak Occupies the 5th spot and is another, what I would term, freestyle sewer, in that she just uses her eyes to judge and then cuts. This tutorial HERE really made me think about not over thinking (ironic I know) and I set a goal to start using my own judgement when looking at patterns.

6) WithWendy As you know, this journey of mine started with a desire to clone a dress so this video made me know it was very possible!

7) Anita from Made To Sew is another presenter worthy of the plain English accolade and I found her tutorial on how to attach a V neck facing really easy to follow.

8) MyStylediaryy did a great video on key measurements in order to make a bodice block and whilst my intention was not to make the bodice, the process of how to  accurately measure myself was perfect and an ideal resource for every beginner.

9) FashionSewingBlogTV had some great  tutorials covering many areas you  typically encounter whilst working through patterns as well as some innovative ideas. I found their tutorial on how to make an off the shoulder top using a recycled shirt, particularly useful.

10) Last but most certainly not least, I found these 17 DIY and sewing Hacks/Tips from Nadira037 really useful - from quick ways to sharpen scissors to an innovative use of  hairspray, these tips not only saved me time but also money as she demonstrates how to utilize many household items you may already have.



2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Really good post, some new channels for me to follow. Good stuff for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gema and glad you enjoyed it-wish you well for your sewing weekend

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment below.