Sunday 18 December 2016

My First Project

So after considering all other alternatives, I acquired a sewing machine and one Friday evening (yes very dedicated I know) I sat down to do something I never do with new equipment - I actually read the manual!

I felt a real sense of achievement as I worked out how to wind the bobbin, change the feet and adjust stitches and I guess that was the first time I felt any enthusiasm.

Once I was zig-zagging up and down prices of cloth and adjusting the stitch length some of the fear had gone - now fear might see a little dramatic but I have to mention this was not my first encounter with a sewing machine.

My mum was an avid sewer as I was growing up and I had attempted on more than one occasion  to grapple with a sewing machine.  After pressing the pedal and hearing that dreaded hum when you know something is definitely wrong but no idea what, I gave up in frustration.

Once I understood my way around the sewing machine I googled #beginner #sewing #projects and found that a pin cushion was both simple and something I actually needed.

I opted for one that could tie around my machine so that it was easy to reach and could also be removed if required. 

You can see the results below.








                                            



 I discovered my local haberdashery shop (that resembles Aladdins cave) and armed with a list, which I completely ignored once I entered, I left with far more fabric and tools than I should have, but I did have everything I needed to make my first project.

To make I....

1) Cut one piece of fabric 14cm square
2) Selected organza ribbon 15cm wide and cut two strips 30cm long (and checked first that this length would  fit around my machine with enough length left to make a bow
3) Turned the fabric inside out and sewed around the outside edge, sewing in the edge of one side of the ribbon during this process but leaving a 3cm gap open
4) Turned the fabric so that the right side was showing, then stuffed the insides with polyester filling finally hand sewing the other side of the ribbon in place and closing the gap.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment below.